Friday, August 26, 2011

Crazy weather headed our way!

Well, everyone along the east coast is preparing for Hurricane Irene. Upon hearing that we were in the path of the storm, I immediately sent my husband to Costco to get 10 cases of water, 5 gallons of milk, 3 loaves of bread, 4 dozen eggs, 6 packages of bacon, 2 boxes of Bisquik and a huge lot of toilet paper. Not really! I did send him to Costco, but just for 2 cases of water and a bag of apples. We have enough non-perishable food here to last awhile and I know this storm won't keep us homebound for a week like snowmaggedon did. We did make sure we had enough working flashlights for each level of the house, though. We most likely will lose power, but hopefully not for days. Maybe Pepco has their stuff more together than in the past, but I don't have too much faith in them!

The boys have been asking when the storm is coming and Marcos has been saying he's scared. We told them it wasn't coming until tomorrow night and that we would all stay together in the basement and have a slumber party. Justin was asking if it was the type of storm that goes around and around, and I asked him if he meant a tornado. I told him it was not that type of storm and that we would just be getting a lot of rain and maybe some strong winds. He asked if anyone would die in the storm and I told him no, it wouldn't be that strong. It breaks my heart when he asks questions like that because I feel he's too young to know about death and what it means, but I guess after going through losing 3 baby siblings before they were born, he understands it a little. With my stomach getting huge, the boys talk a lot about the baby in mommy's tummy. All of us can't wait until the time comes for him to be born and come home!

Today was Justin's open house at his school where we were able to meet the new principal, see his classroom and meet his teacher. My husband wanted to take me in the wheelchair to avoid having me walk too much, but I told him I didn't want to deal with it. The little bit of walking I did was no enough to be detrimental to the pregnancy. I was glad to get out of the house for a little while and it was great that we went to the open house because they were giving out backpacks and books. Even Marcos got a backpack and books. It's a Title 1 school, so they get extra funding from the federal government and they use a lot of the money to give the students school supplies and books. Justin's first grade teacher is new to the school and her room was kind of empty and didn't seem ready, but hopefully it will be a great year. Since I've worked for the school system in the past and have been a long-term substitute teacher, I have certain expectations and was surprised that the room didn't even look ready for students. I know it was an empty room last year that was not used, but it looked like it was haphazardly put together that day to look like a classroom.

Last year, I volunteered weekly in Justin's classroom and would love to do the same this year, but unfortunately that is not going to happen. I'm not sure how long I'll be on bed rest and then once I have the baby I'll definitely have my hands full. I really like to be an involved parent, but I will just have to make it happen through the PTA. I really enjoyed helping with the book fair and some of the fundraisers last year and hope to do the same this year. Unfortunately, parent involvement at the school is kind of low and it's usually the same few parents you see volunteering. Part of it I think is due to the large Hispanic population at the school, man of which don't know English or only know very little. I think they may not feel comfortable volunteering because of the language barrier. Being married to someone for 7 years who speaks Spanish, you think I would have learned it by now, but I only know very little. It's difficult to learn a second language as an adult, at least for me it is.

I can't believe this is the last weekend of summer vacation. I'm so sad to see it end and not have been able to do a lot of the things we wanted to do. We did take the boys camping once, but I had so many plans to take them a few more times. We also wanted to take more trips to Greenbrier State Park and the Catoctin Mountains, but once I was put on bed rest all those plans went out the window. There are many more summers to look forward to, and we already have plans to take the boys to Disney World next summer. My husband wants to go by plane, but I told him I would rather drive so we have the comfort of our own vehicle and can go at our own pace. Plus, there's the issue of renting a car in Florida if we were to go by plane and not have car seats for the boys. Not safe! I know we'll have loads of fun there and will even hit one of the beaches while we're there. Hopefully, I will have lost all the baby weight and more by then!

Well, I don't know what exactly the weekend will bring us, but I made plans with my couch again. Oh, so much fun. Not! I don't know what my husband has planned for the boys tomorrow, but I told him he should take the boys out in the morning before the bad weather comes. I hate to have them holed up in the house all day before the bad weather comes. They need to be outside to get some of their energy out. When they're home, it's like a tornado has hit. Marcos came home this evening after being at the mall a few hours and just started running around screaming and laughing. I tell you, the boys can be so crazy at times and drive me up a wall with all their noise, but I cannot imagine it any other way. That's just the way they are and I love them to pieces! I wonder what the next boy will be like. Hopefully, a little less rambunctious but then again, even if he is that will probably soon change when Justin and Marcos teach him to be like them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment